I’m a big fan of sweet treats that are easy to throw together, and even more so when they happen to be healthy. Dates are an extremely popular fruit in the Middle East, where I’m currently working because of the huge volume of date palm trees. They’re high in fiber and can be used as a healthy, natural sweetener. They are such a life saver when it comes to making things like vegan cheese cake, smoothies, salads, or even when you feel like adding some sweetness to your morning porridge. The only downside is that they are sometimes difficult to blend, so make sure you’re using a high powered blender and not adding too much strain to it. Adding a little water any time you’re blending them can also help. Nonetheless, the outcome is very satisfying, which this recipe proves!
• Chia and Blueberry mix or Chia and Cranberry mix, x2 tblspns
• Flaxseeds, x2tblspns
• Raw quinoa, x2 tblspns
• Cinnamon, x1 tblspn
• Pitted dates, x10
• Agave syrup, x2 tspns
• Dessicated coconut
• Cacao nibs
1. Add the flaxseeds and quinoa to a Nutri Bullet or high powered blender and mill.
2. Add the milled chia, cinnamon, pitted dates and syrup to the milled seeds and blitz (do this in tiny intervals and scrape the mixture down from the sides of the cup/blender. Add a small amount of liquid if mixture is too dry to blend).
3. Making sure to thoroughly wash hands, remove the sticky, but solid mixture from the blender/Nutri Bullet, separate into two portions and squash down into bar shapes.
4. Roll the chia bars into a small bowl of desiccated coconut and cacao nibs to top them off.