I incorporate oats into my baking as much as I can. Not only are they a wholesome, unrefined carb, but they tend to save your recipes when you’re not including eggs; whether I’m baking oat bread, oat cookies or this banana bread, it always tends to bind things together well. My Mum’s banana bread was always one of my favourite desserts growing up. The traditional recipe sometimes includes a lot of extra sugar, which I’ve toned back on in mine, not to the detriment of lost flavour. I’ve also included milled chia seeds for extra binding power, not to mention the inclusion of Omega-3 fatty acids. This treat is the slow-releasing food fuel you’ll want while balancing healthy eating with sweet eating. It includes a portion of your five a day, as well as some fibre for a healthy gut.
I’m a huge fan of blueberries, and I really like combining them with banana. I love baking blueberries and having their juice ooze everywhere and mix in with the rest of the ingredients. This recipe keeps well in the fridge. You can throw it into a lunchbox and enjoy it throughout the day, or heat it up after dinner and top it with some vanilla ice cream or banana sorbet. I bet your guests won’t even realise that it’s a healthy version!
This recipe serves four and is:
Gluten free (with gluten free oats)
- Oats, 200 g
- Bananas, x3 medium
- Agave syrup, x3 tblspns
- Coconut oil, x3 tblspns
- Chia seeds, 40 g
- Blueberries, 1 cup
- Baking powder, 1 tspn
- Salt, 1 tspn
- Rice milk, x1/5th cup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Blend the oats and chia seeds into a fine flour.
- Melt the coconut oil for 30 secs in the microwave.
- Mash the bananas on a plate using a fork.
- Place them into a mixing bowl, followed by the oat flour, milled chia seeds, baking powder, salt, agave syrup, coconut oil, rice milk and blueberries.
- Stir well before transferring over to a baking tin.
- Bake for 35 mins at 180 degrees Celsius or until golden brown at the top.
- Leave to cool for 20 mins before serving as slices. Best topped with some banana sorbet or vanilla ice cream.